A friend of mine recently pinned the Biggest Loser oatmeal pancakes on Pinterest. I checked it out – after all, if they were “better” for you, then that would mean I could eat pancakes more often, right?
The macros worked out OK, but I wanted a better protein to carb ratio, so here is my adaptation. It’s not that significant a change to be honest, mainly the removal of sugar and the addition of protein powder. Also, mine turned out more like a British pancake (although a bit thicker).
Today, I fancied an apple and cinnamon topping.
- 80g low fat cottage cheese
- 100g egg white (about 3 eggs)
- 25g oats
- 25g protein powder
The numbers: 299kcal, 41.7g protein, 21.7g carbs, 4.5g fat
Apple and cinnamon topping
- 1 apple – I used a Royal Gala
- 10g agave syrup plus 5g for drizzling
- 45ml water
- 5g cinnamon
- Put all the pancake ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
- Meanwhile, slice the apple and add it to a pan with the agave, water and cinnamon. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and allow to simmer until the apple is soft and in a yummy syrup
- Cook the pancakes as you would any other pancake…
- Stack the pancakes and smother in the apples. Drizzle a little more agave on top 🙂
Verdict: the flavours were good, but I think I cooked both the pancake and the apples for slightly too long, so it was a bit dry. But I’m going to make this again…maybe tomorrow… 😉