This week, I am back into proper training, with the next competition only 5 weeks away: England’s Strong Women Championship London and Northern Counties Qualifier at New Spartan Gym in Watford on Saturday 26th April. The events are:
- 100kg deadlift for reps (in 60 seconds?)
- 35kg log floor to overhead for reps (in 60 seconds?)
- 50kg (+ prowler) arm-over-arm pull and drag back
- 50kg Farmer’s walk – 15m, drop and turn, 15m back
- 20kg-40kg loading medley (4 objects)
I know I can lift the weights, I just need to work on my endurance and technique. And that’s what I’ve been focusing on this week. Here you are…channelling my inner Wonder Woman!
Monday 24th March
Deadlift day. I love deadlifts even though high reps make me want to vomit, which is what I’ve got to do at the comp. I had considered practising my max reps in 60 seconds at 90kg, but as I fatigue I start hitching. Not clever. I suppose I should’ve dropped the weight really. Oh well. Next week.
- Deadlifts: only allowing myself to go up to 90kg this week!
- 90kgx5, 5
- Deficit deadlifts:
- One-arm rows:
- 20kgx10, 10, 10
- Farmer’s pick ups:
- Chin ups:
- 4, 4, 3 (disappointing 😦 )
Tuesday 25th March
Rest day. Woohoo!
Wednesday 26th March
This is my least favourite day of the training week. I find bench press so boring. Didn’t stop me from doing a shit load of sets though! Plus cardio. Cardio sucks.
- Bench press:
- 40kgx5, 5, 5, 5, 5
- Narrow grip decline bench press:
- 35kgx5, 5, 5
- Bicep curls (yeah bro!):
- 10kgx 8, 5, 5
- Diamond push up:
- 5, 5, 5 (disappointing 😦 )
- Anna’s Favourite Ab Exercise (10kg in hands, 5kg on shins):
- 8, 5, 5
- Bleep test (over 20m)
- level 5.1 – better than last time, but pretty poor!
- level 3.1 with 10kg weighted vest – LAME!!
Thursday 27th March
I feel like my squat is regressing. It might be because I haven’t been training squats specifically. I have got to start working on these. I’m never going to reach 100kg if I keep faffing around at 60kg!
- 20kgx8, 8
- Box jumps (17″ box):
- 5 sets of 10
- Bulgarian Split Squats:
- 3 sets of 8 with 8kg dumbbells
- Barbell hip thrusts:
- Pull ups:
- 3, 4, 3, 1 (really disappointing 😦 )
Friday 28th March
Rest day. I love rest day more than deadlifts!
Saturday 29th March
No Super-girl today, so Tara and I had an events session with Mike, which killed me!!
- Farmer’s Walks
- We worked up from 33kg to 53kg, running over 15m, dropping and turning, and then carrying them back. I had to work on my pick up as it was too slow. I think I’ve found a starting technique that works for me, so fingers crossed it works on the day. By the end of this (about 75 minutes!!) my hands were fucked!!
- Arm-over-arm and drag back
- My pulling technique sucks balls!I may have found a way of doing it, but I hate it!! Next comp must not have an arm-over-arm pull!! Dragging wasn’t too bad though. Little victories 🙂
- Loading medley:
- Carried 30kg Atlas stone, 30kg keg, 40kg sandbag, 40kg keg, 40kg Atlas stone about 10m and loaded them onto a platform that was about hip height. My best time was 1min 7secs. The sandbag let me down. I then spent about 15 minutes practising picking up the bloody thing.
By the time I had to cycle home, my lower back was pumping and I felt rubbish. I forced myself to eat once I got home and then slept for an hour. Moving has been interesting all day and I am broken!!!
Sunday 30th March
Pressing day! I feel awful: yesterday’s events session really has sent me over the edge. Getting out of bed was painful and slow. Still, no rest for the wicked, etc.
- Log floor to overhead:
- 30kgx5, 5
- 32.5kgx5, 5, 5
- 32.5kgx10 (max reps in 60 seconds)
- Barbell clean and press:
- 40kgx5, 5
- Dumbbell shoulder press:
- 10kgx6, 8
- Face pulls:
- 45kgx8, 8, 8
Sadly, I need to lose weight again. This time, I’m not going to crash diet for a few days before a comp (because it’s not good for you, and I’ve put on more weight and now have more to lose!!). This time, I want to lose fat slowly and sensibly! I’m going to start posting my food diary alongside my training log. This is just so I can be held accountable and it might make me think twice about those chocolate hobnobs…
Have a good week. Thanks for reading my ramblings 🙂 xx